There are some adverbs which tell us about the speaker's viewpoint or opinion about an action. These adverbs are different from regular adverbs because they do not tell us how an action occurred. Viewpoint and commenting adverbs modify entire clauses instead of single verbs, adverbs, or adjectives. There is no real difference between viewpoint adverbs and commenting adverbs except where they are placed in a sentence.
Viewpoint adverbs indicate the speaker's viewpoint or opinion about something. They are usually placed at the beginning of the sentence.
Commenting adverbs indicate the speaker's comment about something. They are very similar to viewpoint adverbs and are often the same words. However, they are usually placed after a "be" verb or before a main verb.
Directions: Choose the correct answer.
1) (I'm going to be truthful) _______________, I don't know what to do.
2) (Everyone can see it) _______________, you are not fit to be a leader.
3) (What would you do?) _______________, I would confront him and ask him why he said that.
4) (Can't argue with this statement) He is _______________ the best player on the team.
5) (I'm impressed with her knowledge) She _______________ knows a lot about technology.
6) (I'm absolutely sure about this) You are _______________ qualified for the job.
Directions: Choose the answer that has the same meaning as the sentence.
1) We were surprised she got the job.
a. Surprisingly, she got the job.
b. Seriously, she got the job.
c. Honestly, she got the job.
2) I hope she has changed her ways.
a. Obviously, she broke her bad habits.
b. Truthfully, she broke her bad habits.
c. Hopefully, she broke her bad habits.
3) Everyone can tell she has fake hair.
a. She is honestly wearing a wig.
b. She is obviously wearing a wig.
c. She is wisely wearing a wig.
4) I can't believe she did it again.
a. She is unbelievably bold.
b. She is simply bold.
c. She is unfortunately bold.
5) I'm sad we cannot take you with us.
a. Unfortunately, we do not have room in the car to take another person.
b. Luckily, we do not have room in the car to take another person.
c. Technically, we do not have room in the car to take another person.
Quiz 1 Answers
1) b. Honestly
2) a. Clearly
3) a. Personally
4) c. undoubtedly
5) a. certainly
6) c. definitely
Quiz 2 Answers
1) a. Surprisingly, she got the job.
2) c. Hopefully, she broke her bad habits.
3) b. She is obviously wearing a wig.
4) a. She is unbelievably bold.
5) a. Unfortunately, we do not have room in the car to take another person.