Some verbs take on a different meaning when they are followed by a gerund or an infinitive.Verbs Followed by Gerunds or Infinitives
Notice the difference in meanings.Verb:
He'll never forget getting sick on the plane. (To look back into the past and think of a memory)Infinitive:
Don't forget to get medicine for your motion sickness. (To not forget to do something)Verb:
Sean remembered bringing his wallet to the store. (To look back into the past and think of a memory)Infinitive:
Sean remembered to bring his wallet to the store. (To remember to do something)Verb:
I regret telling you the truth. (To look back into the past and is not happy about the situation)Infinitive:
We regret to tell you that your job has been eliminated. (To not be happy to give bad news)Verb:
I stopped watching TV. (To stop doing something)Infinitive:
I stopped to watch the sunset. (To stop doing something in order to do something else)Verb:
They tried moving to Canada. (To attempt something as an experiment)Infinitive:
They tried to move to Canada. (To attempt something, but was not successful at it)
Directions: Do the sentences have the same meaning or a different meaning?
1) Sarah forgets setting her alarm clock.
Sarah forgets to set her alarm clock.
2) Do you remember calling your grandmother?
Remember to call your grandmother.
3) James regrets joining the army.
James regrets to inform you that he is joining the army.
4) I stopped smoking for my health.
I stopped to smoke a cigarette.
5) Try moving your toes.
Try to move your toes.
Directions: Choose the correct answer.
1) She will never forget ____________________ her daughter's first word.
b. to hear
2) He remembered ____________________ about the big accident.
b. to hear
3) I regret ____________________ you the answers to the test.
b. to give
4) Tom stopped ____________________ a hamburger on his way to work.
b. to eat
5) Jason tried ____________________ medicine for his headache, but it didn't help.
b. to take
Quiz 1 Answers
1) b. Different meaning
2) b. Different meaning
3) b. Different meaning
4) b. Different meaning
5) a. Same meaning
Quiz 2 Answers
1) a. hearing
2) a. hearing
3) a. giving
4) b. to eat
5) a. taking