Prepositional phrases consist of two basic parts: the preposition and the object. The object can be a noun, pronoun, or gerund. In prepositional phrases, prepositions are almost always followed by an object. Sometimes prepositional phrases will function as adjectives.Prepositional Phrases as Adverbs
Adverb prepositional phrases modify or describe an adverb, adjective, or verb. They answer questions like "why?", "when?", "where?", and "how?". Adverb prepositional phrases come after the adverb, adjective or verb.
|Adverb, Adjective, or Verb||Adverb Prepositional Phrase|
|simmering||On the stovetop|
|left||At the park|
|run quickly||In high heels|
|drove||With her new car|
|flew||Over the neighborhood|
|located||By the freeway exit|
- The soup is simmering on the stovetop.
- The bikes were left at the park.
- She can't run quickly in high heels.
- She drove to school with her new car.
- The plane flew over the neighborhood.
- His stolen car was located by the freeway exit.
Directions: What is the adverb prepositional phrase?
1) Her friends started smoking at the concert.
a. at the concert
b. started smoking
c. Her friends
2) We live in a brand new house.
a. new house
b. in a brand new house
c. We live in
3) The best area to live here is by the beach.
a. by the beach
b. The best area
c. to live here
4) She was featured briefly on TV.
a. on TV
b. featured briefly
c. She was featured
5) The dog jumped quickly over the fence.
a. The dog jumped
b. over the fence
c. quickly over
6) The couple met secretly with a marriage counselor.
a. with a marriage counselor
b. met secretly
c. marriage counselor
Directions: What word is the adverb prepositional phrase describing or modifying?
1) Paul works in a downtown skyscraper.
a. downtown skyscraper
2) Let's all meet at the restaurant.
3) The dog waited patiently by the front door.
b. front door
4) She escaped safely with the firefighter's help.
5) The gymnast landed perfectly on two feet.
Quiz 1 Answers
1) a. at the concert
2) b. in a brand new house
3) a. by the beach
4) a. on TV
5) b. over the fence
6) a. with a marriage counselor
Quiz 2 Answers
1) b. works
2) b. meet
3) c. waited
4) a. escaped
5) a. landed