Conjunctive adverbs are words that join independent clauses into one sentence. A conjunctive adverb helps you create a shorter sentence. When you use a conjunctive adverb, put a semicolon (;) before it and a comma (,) after it.Conjunctive Adverbs
Some examples of conjunctive adverbs are: finally, however, otherwise, still, then, or therefore.Finally
- at the end; at last; after a long timeHowever
- but; used when connecting two contrasting sentencesOtherwise
- to indicate that if something doesn't happen, there may be a different situationThen
- at that time; in that case; used to indicate what will or should happen nextTherefore
- because of that
- I waited all week for this moment; finally, it's here.
- I saved money all year; finally, I can buy a car.
- The toy store had many stuffed animals; however, it did not have the one my daughter wanted.
- There are many history books; however, none of them may be accurate.
- We have to advertise our store; otherwise, some people may not know we're open now.
- The law does not permit drinking and driving anytime; otherwise, there would be many more accidents.
- I was having a good time; then, it was time to leave.
- The baby fell asleep; then, the doorbell rang.
- I didn't study for the test; therefore, I failed it.
- The due date for the final paper has passed; therefore, I could not submit mine on time.
Directions: Choose the correct answer
1) We planned a trip to the beach; __________, it rained all day.
2) I won the coin toss; __________, I go first.
3) We ate dinner first; __________, we left.
4) We've been waiting for good news; __________, it came.
5) We must leave now; __________, we will miss the bus.
Directions: Choose the correct answer.
1) You need to wear a coat because it will be cold. __________, you might catch a cold.
2) He has been looking for a job for over six months. __________, he got a job last week.
3) I exercised for an hour. __________, I went home and took a shower.
4) She worked very hard at the company. __________, she did not get the promotion.
5) I forgot my passport at home. __________, I can't board the plane.
Quiz 1 Answers
1) a. however
2) b. therefore
3) a. then
4) b. finally
5) a. otherwise
Quiz 2 Answers
1) c. Otherwise
2) a. Finally
3) d. Then
4) e. However
5) b. Therefore