Comparative adverbs compare two things. Superlative adjectives compare more than two things.Comparative and Superlative Adverbs - Examples
Comparative adverbs compare two things. Adverbs that contain only one syllable or do not end in "-ly" (in adverb form) use "-er" to form comparatives.
Superlative adverbs compare more than two things. Adverbs that contain only one syllable or do not end in "-ly" (in adverb form) use "-est" to form superlatives. Just like superlative adjectives, adverbs ending in "y", change the "y" to "i" before adding "-est" to form superlative adverbs.
Comparative Adverbs - How to use
|Regular Adverb||Comparative Adverb||Superlative Adverb|
The word "than" is often used after comparatives.
Superlative Adverbs - How to use
- He has a faster car than you.
- The squirrel moves quicker than the raccoon.
- Sally works hard, but Linda works harder.
- The hiker climbed high, but his partner climbed higher.
The word "the" is often used before superlatives.
- Daniel jumped the highest.
- Lucy sang the loudest in the choir.
- Louis ran the fastest.
- Sam arrived the earliest.
Directions: Choose the correct answer.
1) He works _______________ than anyone else at the office.
2) Robert runs _______________ than Joe.
3) Jim's kite flies the _______________ at the park.
4) He always arrives _______________ than me.
5) The head cheerleader yells the _______________.
Directions: Write the comparative or superlative form of the underlined word in each blank.
1) Bobby lives close
to the library. Greg lives the __________ to the library. Peter lives __________ than me.
2) My plane is arriving early
. Jackie's plane is arriving __________ than mine. Jessica's plane is arriving the __________ .
3) I run fast
. Audrey runs the __________ out of all of us, but Sophie runs __________ than me.
4) The turtle is slow
. The snail is __________ than the turtle. The worm is the __________ .
5) Rachel cut her hair short
. Monica cut her hair __________ than Rachel. Phoebe cut her hair the __________ .
Quiz 1 Answers
1) b. harder
2) b. slower
3) c. highest
4) b. later
5) c. loudest
Quiz 2 Answers
1) closest, closer
2) earlier, earliest
3) fastest, faster
4) slower, slowest
5) shorter, shortest