"Too" is an adverb that has two different meanings. "Too" is similar to "also". They are both used to indicate in "addition to" or "to be in the same manner". However, their placements in sentences are different. "Too" is also used before an adjective to give the word a more extreme meaning.Adverb - "Too" as "in addition to" or "to be in the same manner
"Too" is similar to "also". It is used to indicate the meaning of "in addition to" or "to be in the same manner". "Too" usually comes at the end of the sentence or clause.
Adverb - "Too" as a "more extreme meaning
- Noah is hungry. I am hungry too.
- Do you agree too? Yes, I agree.
- I am angry about the situation. We are angry about the situation too.
- They are going to Disneyland. I want to go too.
- They saw a shooting star. I saw it too.
- I like country music. I like jazz too.
- I ate a sandwich for lunch. I was very hungry. I ate a pizza too.
- I play baseball. I play soccer too.
"Too" before an adjective gives the word a more extreme meaning. "Too" is used to describe the word as being more than necessary or more than enough.
- The car is too expensive.
- The dog is getting too fat.
- It is too cold outside.
- The wall is too high to climb.
- She is too short to be a flight attendant.
- This shirt is too small.
- I ate too much.
Directions: Rewrite each sentence using the word "too"
1) The boxes are heavy.
2) The shoes are big.
3) I put on sunglasses because the sun is bright.
4) The soup is hot.
5) His pants are tight.
Directions: Rewrite the second sentence using the word "too"
1) My friends are going to the mall. I want to go .
2) I love The Beatles. I love The Rolling Stones .
3) My mom cooks well. My dad cooks well .
4) I sing. I dance .
5) My shoes do not fit. They are tight.
6) My ears hurt. The music is loud.
7) My back hurts. The mattress is soft.
8) I wish I could buy that car. It is expensive.
Quiz 1 Answers
1) The boxes are too heavy.
2) The shoes are too big.
3) I put on sunglasses because the sun is too bright.
4) The soup is too hot.
5) His pants are too tight.
Quiz 2 Answers
1) I want to go too.
2) I love The Rolling Stones too.
3) My dad cooks well too.
4) I sing. I dance too.
5) They are too tight.
6) The music is too loud.
7) The mattress is too soft.
8) It is too expensive.