Verbs are either active or passive in voice. In the active voice, the subject and verb relationship is straightforward: the subject is doing the action and the object is receiving the action. In the passive voice, the action is doing or is being done to the subject. Passive voice is used when the action is the focus, not the subject. It is not important (or not known) who does the action.
Most sentences are spoken and written in the active voice.
Active voice shows the subject doing the action and the object receiving the action: "subject + verb + object". Passive voice shows the action being done to the subject. Sometimes it is not important or stated who does the action.
Directions: Write the correct answer for each blank.
1) David cleaned the bathroom.
The __________ was __________ by __________ .
2) I wrote a long letter to my friend.
A long __________ was __________ to my friend by __________ .
3) The plumber fixed our leaky pipes.
Our __________ pipes were __________ by the __________ .
4) John is working on the project.
The __________ is being __________ on by __________ .
5) I need to finish this assignment by Monday.
This __________ needs to be __________ by Monday.
Directions: Is the sentence written in active or passive voice?
1) I ate a slice of apple pie.
2) Mom read us a story.
3) The cash was stolen from the register.
4) I am writing a book about my childhood.
5) A book is being written about me.
6) Her hair was cut by a professional stylist.
7) I need to fix the car this week.
8) The broken window will be repaired tomorrow.
9) The beautiful song was sung by my niece.
10) My son washed all of the dishes.
Quiz 1 Answers
1) bathroom, cleaned, David
2) letter, written, me
3) leaky, fixed, plumber
4) project, worked, John
5) assignment, finished
Quiz 2 Answers
1) a. Active
2) a. Active
3) b. Passive
4) a. Active
5) b. Passive
6) b. Passive
7) a. Active
8) b. Passive
9) b. Passive
10) a. Active